Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tasty Tuesday - Award Winning Oatmeal Cookies

Oh, yes, you heard me right. I've got an award winning oatmeal cookie recipe for you right here! 

Last Saturday, we had a Pastor's Appreciation Fish Fry at church and one of the activities was a Men's Cookie Contest.  The categories were Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal and Peanut Butter. When they started announcing the sign-up list at church, I knew right away that I wanted the Hubs to make some oatmeal cookies. (I really like oatmeal cookies.) I started scouring the internets for a good recipe and stumbled across a blog (I can't remember which one) that mentioned these amazing oatmeal cookies she had made. Original recipe found here


Oatmeal Toffee Cookies

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups oatmeal
1 cup dried cherries, cut in half with scissors
1 cup semi sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup toffee pieces

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Sift together flour and baking soda, set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars with a mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add egg and mix on high speed until it's all combined. Add vanilla extract and mix. 

Add the sifted flour a bit at a time on low speed until well combined. Add oatmeal, cherries, chocolate and toffee pieces. Mix with spoon to combine.

Drop spoonfuls of the dough onto a cookie sheet (I used a pampered chef baking stone) and bake for 11 minutes.  Cool and enjoy with a big glass of milk!

I always screw up cookies by cooking them for too long and then they're too hard and crunchy when they cool. But the Hubs baked them for the perfect amount of time that allowed them to still be soft and chewy even after they were cooled. And seriously? Dried cherries, chocolate and toffee in the same cookie made for amazing deliciousness in my mouth!

And he won first place for the oatmeal cookie category! =)

15 comments:

Kristen said...

That sounds so tasty, and i'm stealing the recipe if ya don't mind ♥

Unknown said...

omg oatmeal toffee....you're making me hungry!

xo Jackie
...livingaftermidnite
SHOP my mark. eBoutique!!

Fabrizia Spinelli said...

Wow these cookies seems delicious! Take a look at my blog, and if you like it follow me, I’ll be waiting for you!

Cosa mi metto???

Style Journey said...

Yummy! I like any kind of cookies :) Congrats to the hubby for the award winning cookies!

Heather

Mimi said...

How cute that your hubs made these! My hubs is not much of a baker, but he LOVES oatmeal cookies! Thanks for the recipe;)

Aesthetic Lounge

Bravoe Runway said...

I am so hungry...and Mr. Tiffany is a fantastic baker! I love oatmeal raisin cookies but have never tried it with toffee...definitely worth trying :D

The Suburb Experiment said...

Yum! I'll have to try these - I love oatmeal cookies, especially chewy ones.

Jenn
The Suburb Experiment

Jess said...

Oh geez, that sounds delish!

Jess
www.StupidClothes.net

silvergirl said...

looks delish
i am a sucker for oatmeal raisin, rather have those than any other cookie in the world
will be trying this recipe soon
brett

Claire said...

toffee and cherries? are you kidding me, this sounds delicious. i love an oatmeal cookie soooo much. i love when they just melt in your mouth. yum!

spinning-threads.blogspot.com

Niccoló Pagliari said...

Very cute blog!! :) I think I follow you!!
if you want look my sketches! Nick

http://www.nicksketches.blogspot.com/

Lissa said...

Toffee..chocolate chips..cherries..oatmeal?? Sounds like heaven!! :o)

rlutz said...

Those cookies sound drool worthy... congrats on teh award!!

Teresa said...

congrats dear!!! i love oatmeal cookies, especially with coffee :)

xx
teresa
www.trend-ish.com

my thrifty closet said...

ah...looks yummy but easy enough for baking idiots like me. Bookmarked! Thanks for sharing this!

love,mongs
mythriftycloset.blogspot.com