Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Beboppin' & Skattin'

Have you ever seen that episode of Seinfeld where George gets irate because that guy who's going through AA skips Step 9 and doesn't apologize to him?  Well, that's the episode the Hubs was watching last night as I dozed off to sleep.  Just as I was falling asleep, the episode was ending and I heard George yelling, "He's beboppin' and skattin'! Beboppin' and skattin'!"  Thanks to George that little phrase and George's crazy facial expressions have been running through my mind all morning.

Dress, Belt & Sandals: Target (similarsimilar and sandals)
Shirt: NY&Co
Halftee: Halftee

That little story about George really has nothing to do with my outfit, except that when I was thinking about mixing stripes and flowers, it somehow equaled some form of bebopping and skatting in the world of fashion-ish bloggers. 


This blouse is made of a very sheer material, so you really can see right through it.  Wearing it over the dress worked perfectly.  You could see the faint stripes through the top.  What I really love about the blouse is that the front is a floral pattern and is a silky material and the back is solid yellow and a t-shirt material.  It's incredibly soft and so comfortable that you could just throw it on and laze about the house all day if you wanted to!


I remember when I first started blogging a little over a year ago, I had never in my life mixed patterns and it was still something that was considered risky.  Many of the bloggers I met were just starting to mix patterns themselves, although some of them were like professional pattern mixers.  Now, though, only a year or so later, pattern mixing is everywhere!  I don't think people even give you a second look when you do it. You see them in store displays, on blogs, in fashion magazines and even on normal people!

Have you mixed patterns yet?  If so, what's your favorite combination?

I'm linking up today with The Pleated Poppy and Transatlantic Blonde!

32 comments:

silvergirl said...

you know i am a sucker for a striped maxi
have a great day
brett

tiff@thecoffeehouse said...

oh George. gotta love him. and gotta love this look!

Anonymous said...

Love it! So cheery. I've been wanting to mix some patterns myself, but I can't seem to find the clothes in my closet to do it. Maybe I just need to be more adventurous. ;-)
~FringeGirl

Anonymous said...

Love it! So cheery. I've been wanting to mix some patterns myself, but I can't seem to find the clothes in my closet to do it. Maybe I just need to be more adventurous. ;-)
~FringeGirl

County Road Homemaker said...

That is so cute! Been trying to mix stripes and floral most...my daughter LOVES to put those to together but I'm not quite as bold :( As I sit here in my jeans and workout tee :P Really need to start blogging so I get out of my comfort zone!!!!!!!!!!

Callie - Coffee and Cardigans said...

Pattern mixing is so fun. But I agree, it wasn't something I really started trying until after getting into blogging more. The style blogging community has definitely pushed me to try new things. I really love this outfit. The layers give it so much depth and I love how you played with colors. Perfect for spring!

Anne said...

I haven't tried mixing pattern but you look great! I love striped maxi dresses:)
~Anne

Beth (Coffee Until Cocktails) said...

I've done a little pattern mixing, but nothing too crazy yet. Stripes and flowers mostly! I love what you did here with the dress and shirt, it's really a fun look!

TheTinyHeart said...

Haha, George cracks me up! I've done a bunch of pattern mixing. It seems stripes is one of the easiest patterns to mix :)

-Sharon
The Tiny Heart

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Love the stripy dress, gorgeous! I like to mix patterns, just specific ones. You look great :) x

The Goodwill Fangirl said...

I NEED a striped maxi. Love yours!

You definitely be beboppin', girl! :)

rlutz said...

I love pattern mixing...before I started blogging I never would have mixed loud patterns either. I love the sheer floral over the stripes...such great colors!!

Fitness By Alicia said...

Love how you mixed the stripes and flowers. I am not great at mixing patterns but I need to try to do better.

Annie said...

Love how you layered over that striped dress - SO cute!

Annie
The Other Side of Gray

Juneli said...

Lovely print mixing dear! That is a fab maxi skirt! I'm dying to add some maxi skirts to my closet but you see I'm so short that I'm not so comfortable wearing anything maxi. But blogging has opened the so far shut windows and I'm more than willing to give it a try!

Bravoe Runway said...

WOW! Tiff, layering and pattern mixing? Very nicely done and also very adventurous! LOVE the look!

Always Maylee said...

So cute, love the layers and love maxi dress worn as a skirt!

xo, Yi-chia
Always Maylee

Keely said...

So true Tiffany. Pattern mixing is everywhere and becoming commonplace! I love your mix of colors here and stripes/florals are my fav.:)

TaraMixandMatch said...

Love the stripes, you are adorable!

Melaina25 said...

I need to bite the bullet and try mixing patterns, huh?

J9 STYLE said...

I remember that episode! I love mixing prints. Especially stripes and tribal prints.

hautepinkpretty said...

Love a striped Maxi! Xox <3 hautepinkpretty.com

Jeanine Byers said...

I haven't mixed any patterns yet but it looks great on you! Followed you here from Melaina's WIWW.

Gracey the Giant said...

Fabulous layering. I need to do more with my maxi dresses and this has definitely given me the inspiration!

Cara said...

Every summer, I long for a striped maxi like yours! Maybe this year, I'll finally get one!

Sarah Hartley said...

I don't do a lot of pattern mixing, but I really should. I'm scaaaaaaaared. Loving your skirt lady!

Megan, TfDiaries.com said...

looooove the striped maxi

Sootjeelina said...

It looks perfectly indeed! It looks great

xoxo Sootjeelina <3

Unknown said...

love all the fun colors here. great mixing of patterns! i am so into maxi skirts lately. :)

xoxo
jasmine
AdamAlexMommy

amy b.s. said...

such a great skirt!

KC said...

I have this dress, too! Twinkie! ;)

However, this is a tres cool combination that you've created. I especially love the peek-a-boo red!

my thrifty closet said...

yes pattern mixing is so on trend now, and it's really fun! Your outfit is really cute, I like how the stripes shows up through the floral top. Sandals are perfect for spring and summer!

mongs
mythriftycloset.blogspot.com