Thursday, June 7, 2012

It's a cruel, cruel summer...

I love summertime and everything about it! The sizzling sidewalks, the glorious sunshine, the bustling beaches. There is nothing cruel about summer in my little corner of the world. 


This summer, especially, I'm determined to fill it up with fun activities for the hubs and I to enjoy with the kids!  It seems like time is passing more and more quickly.   As each Christmas, Easter and summer vacation passes, I look back and wish we had taken the time to make more memories with the kids.  Before I know it, they'll be 18, driving off to college and my house will be quiet again.  I know when that happens I'll be longing for the endless chatter of the little ones.  Well, that's not for years yet, so right now, I'm just going to enjoy my little ones being little and make some memories!

I recently read Lindsey's summer bucket list and immediately knew I wanted to do something similar!  So, here are the things I want to do this summer.  If you're in the area, feel free to copy it. =)

1.  Take the kids to Big Kahuna's
2.  Pick blueberries.  I have some wonderful memories of picking blueberries and strawberries with my mom. I know my Little Guy would love it!
3.  Go to a splash park.
4.  Go exploring at Fort Pickens
5.  Visit the Children's Museum. 
6.  Visit the Naval Aviation Museum
7.  Admire the butterflies at the Panhandle Butterfly House
8.  Get in touch with your artistic side and paint pottery.
9.  Have a dinnertime picnic at the beach and watch the sun set.
10. Check out the Gulfarium

I only have 9 weekends until teachers report to work in August, so I may not get around to all of these... but you never know! Maybe I'll take a day or two off in the name of making memories with my children. =)

What are you planning to do this summer? 

12 comments:

American Mom said...

My mom and I keep trying to plan a day to go to NAS, but with her knee hurting and my grandma gone it just hasn't worked out.:-/ I really wanted to go strawberry/blueberry picking but no luck with that either! I bet Rebekah would like the Gulfarium! She went crazy at the zoo. lol :-P But there's so much to do at the house on the few weekends that Steve is actually home. Life just seems to fly by!!!

TheTinyHeart said...

My summer plans are: Bahamas trip, bbqing, motorcycle rides, playing mini golf on the boardwalk, celebrating my birthday in July, and of course lots of time at the beach :)

-Sharon
The Tiny Heart

the domestic fringe said...

I always feel like summer rushes by too. My kids will have 9 weeks off from school, but only about 7 weeks for things like the town pool to be open. There's nothing I want more than a lazy enjoyable summer, but I often real rushed to fit the fun in. I like that you made a list of the things you want to do.

my thrifty closet said...

great bucket list, it's nice to include the kids in all of the family activities, you are such a sweet mommy. I think we are guilty of going shopping all the time with the kids, not something that they always enjoy and we usually end up spending more money than we should. I think I should do a summer vacation list too and plan kids friendly activities, thanks for the inspiration!

mongs
mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

Lissa said...

Sounds like it is going to be a ton of fun!
This summer will be filled with Summer camps, VBS, TBS, some fun in the sun at some point, and a lot of time with family. :o)

rlutz said...

I too have decided to spend more time building memories with the boys. We went to the zoo today and they loved it!

oomph. said...

my hope is to do a mauka (mountain) to makai (ocean) theme this summer...hitting different beaches and hikes. but not sure how that would go over with my son as he's not ready for hiking. i should PLAN and make a list of places to check off!

Andie said...

you can come visit "home" and there are plenty of blueberry farms! :)

Claire said...

i totally understand your feelings! i can't believe this is the last summer before my eldest goes to kindergarten. i wanna make the most of it! sounds like you have some fun activities planned! we wanna go to California Adventure and test out the new Cars land. would also like to go camping with the kiddos!

http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

silvergirl said...

you are smart to take the time and enjoy the kiddos
as a soon to be empty nester come august i speak from experience
time passes so quickly, but having young adults brings it's own fun and enjoyment as well
brett

Fitness By Alicia said...

These sound like great summer plans!

JK said...

Awesome List!!