Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Working Moms, You Rock Too

I've seen so many of these posts circulating the internet and singing the praises of how busy and noble and busy and exhausted and busy stay at home moms are. And seeing those posts make me want to say a few things... Not ugly things. Just things that I'm thinking and feeling.

See, here's the thing. I have so very many stay-at-home mom friends. And I love them. I think they're awesome moms doing awesome things with their kids.  But I've never been envious of those moms, because I knew my place was teaching. Well, things have recently changed in our life and it feels like God is leading me to become a stay-at-home mom. So, I might very well be joining your ranks soon.

And maybe I'm being naive. But I just think it will be SO much easier than being a working mom. See, I got to be a stay-at-home mom of sorts all summer long and loved it. I'm not going to say that every second of it was pure bliss, but I will say that it was about 3,000 times easier than getting up at 4:45 to get in a quick run, before I grab a quick shower, make my kids lunches, get them dressed and fed, so that I can go up to the school at about 6:30 and spend the day teaching 16 children, only to come home exhausted, but at that time, my own kids need my attention. So, I suck it up and play with them, read to them, cook them dinner, get them bathed, read them bed time stories and get them into bed to finally crash into my own bed. And then did it start all over the next day? Well, not quite. It continued all night long because one or both of the kids had bad dreams and needed consoling multiple times through the night or maybe one of them wet the bed and I had to clean up the mess and get them back to sleep before I could get on with my own beauty sleep. So, yeah, staying home this summer?  It was much, much easier and more FUN than working!

I get it.  Stay-at-home moms have sleepless nights. But you know what?  Working moms do too. The difference is that working moms have to suck it up, get dressed, be amicable, put on a happy face and spend the day at work. For some women, that means sitting at a desk. For others, it means walking the halls of a hospital and taking care of sick people. For others, it means standing in front of a class of kids and making your brain function even though all it wants to do is drift off.

I get it.  Stay-at-home moms nobly nurse their sick kids through the night. But you know what? Working moms do too. The difference is that working moms have to pull a sick day if they want to spend the next day cuddling on the couch with their sick child. Or if that isn't an option and maybe dad has to stay at home, then Working Mom has to take her exhausted self to work and worry about her sick baby all day.

I get it. Stay-at-home moms have bad days.  But you know what?  Working moms do too. The difference is that working moms are made to feel bad if they let their bad day at work affect their parenting.

I get it. Stay-at-home moms cook, clean, take care of their kids, love their husband and dote on their children.  But you know what?  Working moms do that, too.  And they do it on about 40 hours less a week.

So, I love my stay-at-home mom friends, I really do.  But I've got to say... I think you've got it easy.  And I'm SO looking forward to having it easy.  Maybe someday I'll write another post about how tough it is being a stay-at-home mom, but I just can't imagine it.  For now, I'll dream of that future that's just around the corner. I'll dream of my clean floors and baseboards, of my daytime snuggles on the couch, of spontaneous trips to the beach just because it's pretty, of making surprise cookies for daddy just because we have time...

So, here's to all of you working moms! I know how busy you are. I know how exhausted you are. And I know that you're pushing on and getting things done. You rock too! =)

 photo family_zps19fb81ee.png


I feel like I should add... I might know a lot about the life of a working mom and a bit about the life of a stay-at-home mom (thanks to summer and maternity leave!), but I know absolutely nothing about the single mom life or the homeschooling mom life. I can't even begin to imagine how busy and exhausted all of you single moms are. I seriously applaud you! And homeshooling moms? I can imagine that you are definitely busy trying to juggle teaching different grades at the same time! You're pretty awesome, too.

7 comments:

Emily Brock said...

Oh yeah. Working moms have it way harder. Been there and done that, too- its impossible to explain to your boss why you have to miss three consecutive days of work because of a violent stomach flu one of your littles has, or trying to stand behind a counter counting money at 8 months pregnant with feet so swollen, your shoe straps are almost hidden. Being at home, you have no one to answer to but the Lord, your husband and yourself. It's not easy, no, but nothing like being a working mom!

Cara said...

High five.

I'm sure I'll have many thoughts on this in the days and years to come, and already I can see the debate forming in my mind (Yes, easier when the kids are home, but no, much harder when trying to re-enter the workforce... etc. etc. etc.)

But for now, I'm very happy to read this.

Rare Nonsense said...

Amen!! I work over 50 hours a week at my job and then have my family to love and take carw of. It's exhausting and all that keep me going is the occasional day off-rare mind you. I have been at the same job and doing the same thing for 10 years. I have to put on my happy face and talk to people all day. By the time I am done, I wish I could just be alone and quiet for a bit. As you know, once done with job 1, it's on to job 2!! Sigh....the beach would be nice :)

Beth (Coffee Until Cocktails) said...

Thank you for this! Having just gone back to work after having my little guy, I just needed to read this. I would give anything to be a stay at home mom, but I have to work for now so I do what I have to do and it sure isn't easy!

Kim said...

I loved reading this! Thank you for posting!

Flora Jon said...

I would say that being a mom is never easy and every mom rocks, 'cause you all do an excellent jobs! :-)

oomph. said...

great post...i'm a working single mom, and yes, it ain't easy! i'm busy, exhausted, rarely have time for myself, usually feel overwhelmed, have no social life, hahahahaha. i think working part-time would be a nice medium!