Wednesday, January 4, 2012

What I Wore Wednesday - Experimenting with Stripes

Quite a while back, I pinned this picture of Becks rocking her stripes on stripes and decided to finally wear my stripes [oomph.] style. What do you think? Too much?

Jacket: Rue 21
Dress: Borrowed from my Sis
Shirt: Target (It's pajamas!)
Leggings: Target
Boots: JCPenney

When I showed the Hubs the outfit yesterday morning, he said, "Yeah, that looks great! Your kids will love that!" To which I responded, "Umm, I'm not teaching today," and subsequently wondered if it's a look that should only be worn when teaching and entertaining 8-year olds.  When I showed my sister the pictures, she said, "Whoa!! That's a lot of stripes!"


The blue you see peeking out of the boots aren't actually my socks. They're actually agoo leggings that belong to my Little Miss. At the very bottom, they have some flowers and butterflies all the way up the leg. I can't wait to wear them with my ankle boots!

Scarf: Ellis and Wiles scarf from Adam Alex Mommy's Giveaway!
Ring: c/o Blue Vanilla
Other Jewelry: Borrowed from my Sis


I was recently tagged in a fun post by Lena at Mom 2 Memphis & Ruby. Thanks for thinking of me! =)

Here's what I get to do:
1. Post these rules.
2. You must post 11 random things about yourself.
3. Answer the questions the tagger set for you in their post.
4. Create 11 new questions for the people you tag to answer.
5. Go to their blog and tell them that you've tagged them.
6. No stuff in the tagging section about "you are tagged if you are reading this."  Legitimately tag 11 people!!

Random Stuff About Me

1. The first movie I saw in the movie theater was Home Alone. I didn't see my second until years later, when I saw Clueless, with my besties.  
2. Of course, Clueless was my favorite movie for years. Then it was Legally Blonde. Now, that I'm all grown up, I love serious and grown up movies like Mulan (I recently rediscovered that one with my Little Guy), 27 Dresses, Harry Potter, Twilight . . . those are the kinds of movies adults like, right?
3.  I didn't like tomatoes (raw or cooked) until I got pregnant with my Little Guy. Now, I love them. The same with pretty much all vegetables.
4.  When I was little, I didn't like anything that was all jumbled together... Gumbo, lasagna... I wouldn't touch them. My Little Guy has definitely inherited that from me!
5.  When I first met the Hubs, he was dating my roommate. More on that story some other time. ;)
6.  Number Five is not as bad as it sounds! He and my roomie had been over for a long time before he and I ever started dating!
7.  I am sinner saved by grace, an Independent Baptist by denomination. And I hope that I'm a good example of what a Christian should be and how they should act.
8. I am a people pleaser by nature and can get along with almost anyone. But do something to hurt me or mine, and momma bear comes out.
9. I'm giving up sugars and unhealthy carbs to begin the New Year.  Except for my flavored creamer, of course. Because who can drink coffee without flavored creamer?!?
10.  A friend inspired me to run a 1/2 marathon this year. So, even though I can barely run two miles right now, I'm planning to run 13.1 before the year is out! =)

Questions from Lena:

1. What was your favorite holiday memory this year?
Oooh, this one's easy! See, we didn't get a tree this year because we were saving our money and getting a fake tree once they went on sale after Christmas and we were going to be traveling during the Christmas holidays anyways , so I set up a little metal tree that someone had given me and hung ornaments on it. I had planned to string lights and really Christmassify that little corner of our living room, but life got too busy and I wasn't able to. So, one day while I was at work and the kids were at daycare, the Hubs surprised us by stringing lights and hanging up stockings.  When we got home, my Little Guy's face lit up and he said, "It's Christmas!!!" =)
2. If you could meet one person, dead or alive, who would it be & why? Jesus, obviously. I'd love for Him to take me on a stroll to all the places that He visited in the Bible. I'd love to hear the Sermon on the Mount straight from His mouth. I'd love to worship Him in person.
3. What's your favorite fast food/ take-out order?
Oh, I'm a sucker for fast food, which is why it's been banned for the month of January! I have a number of favorites and here they are: Taco Bell's crunchwrap supreme, Burger King's whopper jr., Chick-fil-A's chicken sandwich & peppermint milk shake, and general's chicken & fried rice from any Chinese place anywhere.
4. What is your worst habit?
Eating when I'm bored. For sure. I tend to zone out and eat a ridiculous amount of food when I'm not paying attention.  Just the other day, I was stressed out about school work and I sat in front of the computer to do a few assignments and polished off a bag of baked lays and whoppers. Sure, they're both supposedly low in fat, but I'm pretty sure the amount I ate added up to be quite a bit of fat. lol
5. What is your least favorite household chore?
Hands down, laundry wins this one. It's the never ending chore!
6. What is the last thing you bought for yourself?
The red boots that I wore here.
7. If you could change your name... what would it be?
I don't know... when I was younger, I wanted to be Veronica, like from the Archie comic books... But now, even though my name tends to be sort of bimbo-ish (I mean, whenever you're watching a reality show and one of the contestants is a dumb blonde, odds are her name is Tiffany!), it's grown on me. And I like it. =)
8. Have you ever had any supernatural encounters?
Oh, wow, what a question! I don't necessarily believe in the supernatural like most people think of it. But I do believe in Jesus and His supernatural power of forgiveness.  When I was twelve years old, he saved me from a life of sin. I've strayed over the years, but He always welcomed me back with loving arms. So, in a way, I have had a supernatural encounter. =)
9. What is the ONE blog you MUST read every day?
Well, there are sooo many inspiring blogs out there! From fashion blogs to mom blogs to inspirational Christian blogs, there are just so many!  But there is one blog I visit before heading to any other and it's Heather & Kayla's.  They are adorable and inspirational in the outfit department, but the real reason I like to visit them is that they're sweet and genuine and have become real bloggy friends. =)
10. Share you favorite joke!
Can you believe I don't actually have a favorite joke?? I had to reach out to my facebook followers and I had so many responses that it was hard to choose one. ;) Here's what I've got for ya.  Why does Snoop Dogg always carry an umbrella?.... For the drizzle, my nizzle! Ha, it's a pretty good one since it made me laugh. =)
11. Best advice you've given or received about blogging is...
To be yourself and not try to mimic anyone else!

My Questions:

1.  Do you live in the same town you grew up in?
2.  What is your favorite TV show?
3.  What is your favorite memory from highschool?
4.  Who is someone that you look up to?
5.  Where do you see yourself in five years?
6.  How did you get into blogging?
7.  Where is one place you've never been that you really want to visit before you die?
8.  What is one thing you've never done that you really want to do at least once in your life?
9.  What do you like to do in your downtime?
10. What is your favorite comfort food?
11. What do you like to wear to lift your mood when the winter doldrums hits you?

The 11 People I Tagged:

Heather & Kayla at H&K Style Journey
Kassi at The Closet Intervention
Emily at Tinfoils & Tiaras
Becks at [oomph.]
Callie at Coffee and Cardigans
Alicia at Fashion by Alicia
Jenn at The Suburb Experiment
Keely at Casual Chic Kiki
Shea at Bon Chic Bon Gastronomique
Thu at Just Tututiny
Jasmine at Adam Alex Mommy

Whew, I think this may have been my longest post ever! =)

I'm linking up today with The Pleated Poppy and Sunday Best.

39 comments:

Audrey Allure said...

Great outfit - loving the stripes, and the pop of blue of those tights!

Bonnie said...

You should wear stripes all the time because you look phenomenal!

BTW, "Clueless" is still one of my favorite movies. What-EVER.


http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

welldressedmaker said...

whoa! stripes on stripes on stripes! That's super cool! I don't think I can pull off that kind of awesomeness! I absolutely adore that dress! and wooohooo for giving up sugars and carbs! that's a resolution!

♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights

Content Director - Strong Female Leaders said...

Brilliant! Stripe on stripe on stripe. You are such a clever dresser.

http://www.thegirlieblog.com

Style Journey said...

Aww Tiffany! You brought tears to our eyes. We are both home today (no school for Kayla) and for me (well, you know). Thanks for the shout out. These posts are fun because we get to learn more about you the person. Taco Bell all the way baby! The stripes on stripes look great too. Love it!

Heather & Kayla

oomph. said...

aw, sweet! i love what you did here! the best part is the peep of blue leggings which ties in with the blue striped top...pulls everything together! thanks for taking the plunge...i love when people push the limits a bit!

i actually love doing laundry...it means a closet full of clean clothes, lol!!

[oomph.]

skippysays said...

So much fun learning a bit more about you! And there is no such thing as too many stripes : ) This outfit is adorable!
www.saysskippy.blogspot.com

Ashley said...

I'm also trying to give up additional sugar and unhealthy carbs (and I'm not eating starchy carbs like bread, potatoes, etc. after 3 p.m.) this year! I'm even doing away with the flavored creamer! Temporarily, that is. My goal is no sugary drinks until my birthday, when I'm treating myself to a chai tea latte (my favorite). I had a plain latte the other day...it was 90% disgusting, 10% refreshing. We'll see how it goes! How's it been going for you?

Interesting outfit...hehe. I really like it with the jacket. The additional striped top is personally a little much for me, but it's cute on you and if you can rock it, why not? :)

Rachel said...

love stripes on stripes. I'm not brave enough to do it...yet.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Stripes are my favorite! Love that scarf!

Keely said...

I love your stripes and learning more about you. Thanks for tagging me! I'll see what I can come up with.

Sarah Hartley said...

I love all your stripes! How fun. And thanks for visiting my blog. We are doing our honeymoon registry through Honeyfund but there are a couple other sites for this as well.
Sarah
http://comingunstitched.blogspot.com

TaraMixandMatch said...

Love mixing stripes! So much fun!

silvergirl said...

i really like the stripe scarf with the stripe dress!
brett

rlutz said...

You can never have too many stripes...such a fun outfit!!
I am stealing the Snoop Dog joke...ha!!

Dreama's Daily Fashion said...

Stripes are so much fun! You look adorable. Clueless is still one of my favorite movies :) -Dreama

Clara Turbay said...

I like the way you show your inspirations!

http://paquetevistasbien.blogspot.com

Meagan said...

I don't think the stripes are too much at all. My favorite part of this though is the jacket! It's adorable. I'm a little jealous!
-Meagan
www.spunkychateau.com

J9 STYLE said...

I'm digging the stripes on stripes!

A Very Sweet Blog said...

I remember Becks stripes on stripe look. You did a fabulous job Tiff!!! I think it looks really cute. And you did 3 stripes! I'm loving this look. All the retailers are doing it in ads. I love H&K too! :D

http://averysweetblog.com/

Cara said...

I love how it looks in that first picture - but the jacket tames it down to my 'fraidy cat style!

Bravoe Runway said...

WOW this is quite a post! I am always thrilled to read more about other bloggers and I love the movie 27 dresses as well! And that does qualify as an adult grown up movie ;) BTW....if you like 27 dresses you'll like The Ugly Truth hahaha!

Kassi said...

I like the stripes on stripes on stripes quite a bit I must say. They look fab on you. Thanks for tagging me. One of these days I will certainly post a bunch of random facts that would make you wish you never asked ;)

http://theclosetintervention.blogspot.com/

★ JASMINE ★ said...

lovely blog miss <3

and love the photos!

now following you! follow me back ?

:0)
http://barbie-bombshell.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Thanks for tagging me Tiffany! I will try to link up soon :) I love the stripes- you can never wear too many stripes in my opinion! Wow your random fact #5 piqued my interest-will have to hear that story! :)

Julie Khuu | Haute Khuuture said...

Yikes stripes! Cute hun! Thanks for visiting my blog love, Happy New Year and hope to see you back soon!

xo-Julie
Peace. Love. LOL!

Haute Khuuture.com

Sayaka said...

I love all the stripes!! It's so much fun and the not too much at all!! Happy New Year!!

my thrifty closet said...

this is cute, it's a nice variation of stripes. I like stripes, so this is not too much for me. These are interesting facts about you. Jesus is someone I would like to meet too. You have such a sweet persona.

mongs
mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

g*rated said...

love the stripes! maybe you should permanently borrow that cute dress from your sister! we would love for you to link up with us on sunday "sunday best". we need some help with ideas on things to wear to church, so any skirts or dresses you would like to share with us would be great! hope to see you sunday!

-chelz
griffithsrated.blogspot.com

Sarah Frills4Thrills said...

I love the stripes! I think you can wear anything as long as you wear it confidently!

Unknown said...

Love the adorable stripes on stripes. To cute.

Julie

rebecca said...

never too many stripes!

Lisa said...

Super cute! Love the "socks" peaking out of your boots. :)

carissa said...

i used to be scared of stripes. i was worried they'd make me look wider. but, i'm so over that and so obsessed with them! love this outfit, you pretty thing, you!

Haus of Style said...

I never loved stripes before but can't stop buying them now. Kudos to you for wearing all these stripes, normally I would say "No", but my new stripe-loving self says "Awesome" ;)

Thanks for the fun tag, I will try to incorporate a post soon.

Erica said...

I love this outfit! The stripes are so much fun!

North Meets South

Shea Lennon said...

Thanks for tagging me! I loved reading your answers and facts! After reading what you said about tomatoes it makes me hold out hope that I might like more vegetables too one day :)

Marianna said...

wow thats a daring decision of yours to combine so many striped items into one outfit. but i think that the leather jacket pulls it all together.
http://lureofthedarkside.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

awww, love learning new facts about my fellow bloggers.

i am so glad you won this beautiful scarf! it looks so stylish on you, and love how you put everything together, tiffany! have a fantastic wknd, dear!

jasmine