Thursday, July 4, 2013

Summer (Mom) Style: Independence Day

Happy Independence Day!


 photo IMG_3362_zpsa60ba1f1.jpg
Tank: TJMaxx
Skirt: Le Lapin D'or
Belt: Target
Bracelets: Bealls, Rue 21
Necklace: Rue 21

I cheated today. See this tank?  It's not part of my 30 for 30, but I really wanted to wear something with patriotic punch today.  I'd already worn two other patriotic outfits... and the rules of the 30 for 30 are that I use 30 pieces of clothing and that I can't repeat outfits. So, I had to break one of the rules today. As I rummaged through my drawers, I came across this tank that used to belong to my sister and I knew . . . I just had to add it to the mix so I could create a patriotic outfit worthy of fireworks.


 photo IMG_3361_zps31bc934a.jpg

No, we're not actually going to see fireworks. Those things happen after dark and you'll rarely catch us out after dark. I mean, hey, we value bedtime like it's . . . valuable or something.


 photo IMG_3369_zps1c4663d7.jpg


To wrap things up, I want to leave you with a recipe from eMeals that is perfect for this holiday weekend.  

Thunder Cake... Or as I like to call it, Firecracker Cake, because it will create explosions in your mouth.


 photo IMG_3373_zps7d784bb1.jpg


1 box German chocolate cake mix
14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
12 oz jar hot fudge topping
16 oz carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
16 oz container strawberries, chopped
1 pint blueberries
4 chocolate-covered toffee bars, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make and bake cake according to package directions in a 13x9-inch pan. Cook 20 minutes in the pan. Invert cake onto a serving platter. Poke holes all over the warm cake using a wooden spoon handle. Slowly pour the condensed milk over the cake and spread evenly. Heat the fudge topping in the microwave until slightly warm.  Slowly pour fudge topping over the cake.  Let stand 20 minutes to cool. Spread whipped topping over the top and sides of cake. Refrigerate overnight or for at least 3 hours.  Before serving, top cake with strawberries, blueberries and crushed candy bars.  (It's best served cold.)

I'm telling ya, explosions in yo' mouth!

I'm linking up today with Mix & Match Fashion

7 comments:

Judy said...

Cute outfit! The cake is a KILLER!!! Thanks for sharing!

the domestic fringe said...

That cake looks so yummy! Love your cute outfit and those bracelets are fabulous. I really like them.

Happy 4th!
~FringeGirl

Ginny said...

I broke te rules a coup,r of times during my 30x30, no judging here :) cute outfit!
Ginny

Northern Style Exposure said...

Perfect patriotic look!

www.lnorthernstyleexposure.com

Olia said...

Love!
Please check out my blog
www.loveolia.com

Debbie Stinedurf said...

Great outfit! Don't know what I like more...the striped tank or the sandals!
Debbie :)
www.fashionfairydust.blogspot.com

Megan, TfDiaries.com said...

maybe i should've gone a little more festive like you, love it
Xo, Megan, www.TfDiaries.com